Mountain Rose Apples

Just when I thought I’ve tasted all kinds of apples …
Really, I never knew this variety exists …. However I start my narrative about these apples, it all comes down to the feeling of surprise, awe and joy altogether.  Surprised with the bright pink color when I halved one; awe when I took the first bite and tasted sweetness and tart at the same time in all its succulent glory and wonderful crunch which is like the perfect apple; to be tickled in the mouth when I tasted guava notes at the end; I wanted to savor it more but I already swallowed it so I just repeated the process until I finished the apple which left me wanting more.  It was pure joy to experience Mountain Rose Apples.  But the sad part is- they’re only grown in Oregon and are seasonal and available only in the fall.  Still, I feel blessed and I will always look forward to the season and a visit from the gift-bearing friend.
Okay, so I’m not exaggerating when I was singing praises over these unique apples and just how amazing  they are by themselves but I can’t help adding some to my Waldorf salad.  With Fuji, Gala and Granny Smith apples, they sure upped the level of deliciousness of my salad.  Here's how I made it.

WALDORF SALAD

Ingredients
1 Granny Smith apple, cubed
1 Golden apple, cubed
1 Gala apple, cubed
1 Fuji, cubed
2 Mountain Rose apples, cubed
3 ribs celery, chopped
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
Fresh lemon juice
 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

For the dressing:
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper
Pinch of salt

Directions
  1. First off, I drizzled fresh lemon juice on the cubed apples; toss together  to prevent browning
  2. Combine Granny Smith apple, Golden Delicious apple, Gala apple, Mountain Rose apples, celery, cranberries and walnuts in a large bowl.
  3. For the dressing- whisk sour cream, reduced-fat mayonnaise, sugar, salt and pepper together in a separate bowl.
  4. Pour dressing into apple mixture; toss until evenly coated. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.


Comments

Popular Posts