Crispy Soft Shell Crabs

Blue crabs are my favorite but I've developed an affection to fried soft shell crabs so deep that I feel like I'm cheating on my blue crab lover when I think about it :-)  It started when I went to a Chinese buffet place for the first time and saw a mountain of halved fried crabs.  I was amused at how quickly the servers replenish the tray because the crabs disappear so fast.  And when I finally had my share- It was love at first bite!  I realized that soft shell does not make an inferior crab.  There's so much sweet and luscious meat inside.  Since then, that's the only thing I look forward to whenever we come to that restaurant.  I remember sneaking in my little container of balsamic vinegar to dip plates of the crispy delicacy.  It's been a while since I've had it but I don't want the restaurant setting for our reunion.  I want to make my own and enjoy it in the comfort of our own home.   

Here's my take on the scrumptious treat :-)

It starts with the soft shell crabs.  These are cleaned and halved sitting in a colander to drain excess water from washing
Ingredients for the batter

2/3 cup rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
1 cup water
1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
vegetable or canola oil for frying

Method:
Heat oil in a skillet about (about 1 1/2 inch deep or enough to cover the crabs) over medium heat
Whisk together dry ingredients for the batter then add in water and egg.  Stir until smooth with no  lumps.
Place crabs in the batter and make sure each piece is coated.  My batter is not too thick because I just want a thin coating just for crunch.
 Fry until crabs turn golden - about 3-4 minutes each side.  
 Scoop from the pan and transfer to a platter or bowl lined with paper towel to drain
Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with spiced vinegar.  You may serve it with Thai sweet   chili dip if you prefer.
I love the crispy extremities- yes you can eat everything but love the prized sweet and creamy meat inside.  I could eat these everyday!
This is served as an appetizer but I've seen it inside a Hoagie roll with tartar sauce.  My preference is still spiced or balsamic vinegar by itself or with steamed white rice when supply is limited lol.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, YUM.
    Love soft shell crab! Looks delicious (: xx

    http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts