Baked Pumpkin Donut & Donut Holes


I planned to make these when I was on that cake donut mode but I didn't have a mini muffin pan (for the donut holes) yet and then when I finally bought one, I was missing some ingredients and didn't have time to shop- always an excuse until I decided it will be my Welcome Autumn post but as you can see, autumn came and I hardly noticed. But it's still autumn so here goes my "hello autumn" offering.


Baked Pumpkin Donut & Donut Holes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt sea salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs

Cinnamon Sugar Coating

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp roasted Saigon cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, melted


Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. I used a mini muffin pan which I had to do in 2 batches as I only have one pan and two 6-cavity cake donut molds. Spray the pan with Pam with Flour.
3. In a bowl, whisk together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and pumpkin puree.
5. With the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
7. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions pumpkin mixture. Do not overmix.
8. Transfer half of the batter into a piping bag or Ziploc nipped at the tip and pipe the batter in a circular motion into the cake donut mold. These were done in 20 minutes. I used a small ice cream scoop for the mini muffins aka donut holes and these were done in 14 minutes.
9. While the donuts and muffins are baking, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
10. After the donuts and muffins are done, let sit for 2 minutes, lift with a small spatula and dip in melted butter. Toss and coat in the sugar mixture. Eat warm or let cool completely.


The donuts came out tender with just the right amount of sweetness coming from the cinnamon sugar and that which gave that donut feel in the mouth without the grease from frying; buttery with a hint of spice that complements the pumpkin. I just realized that it needs spice to really come to life. Pumpkin plus spice equals yum!

Comments

  1. The donuts are so soft and tasty
    You should make some more for me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts