Madeleines


It was another chaotic weekend in the kitchen for me. But I think it’s more of the blasting heat more than the activities which made it as such. I was on a baking mode though despite that and every time I feel like burning then I’d take little breaks in our porch just to catch a little breeze. Aside from the regular dishes like Thai chicken barbecue which I forgot to take pictures of and stir-fry veggies and noodles, I made German pancakes, cinnamon-oat bread loaf, sweet corn gelato and madeleines.

I haven’t made madeleines for a long time because I couldn’t find my pan. I thought of buying a new one but it’s kind of pricey for something I don’t intend to use often like my regular baking pans. That's exactly why the pan seems to be missing or got lost- because it felt abandoned and forgotten ha ha ha...

Anyway, Daiso is really awesome because they sell cheap toy-like kitchen utensils and wares and they actually work. So I got this mold for $1.50 although there are only five cavities- anyway, it’s just a trial- if it doesn’t work, then at least I spent only that much and if it does then I’d get a couple more. Well guess what, it did work. The little cakes slide out of the cavities easily; five mini sponge cakes at a time- I hardly noticed and the trick is keep yourself busy but don't stray away too long lest you over bake the little babies.


I normally add a little baking powder to the batter but I found out that it's an optional ingredient. In fact, originally- it should not have baking powder but of course, it is a matter of preference. A little double acting baking powder won't hurt. Without adding so, the result is somewhat dense inside with crunchy exterior. Need I say they're buttery with that lemony flavor from the lemon zest and lemon essence?


French Butter Cakes (Madeleines)
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp lemon extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour 12 (3 inch) madeleine molds; set aside.

Melt butter and let cool to room temperature.

In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and lemon extract at high speed until light.

Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; and continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in bowl when beaters are lifted, 5 to 10 minutes.

Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently folding after each addition.

Add lemon zest and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into molds; it will mound slightly above tops.

Bake 14 to 16 minutes, or until cakes are golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed with your fingertip.

Use the tip of the knife to loosen madeleines from pan; invert onto rack.

Notes:

I didn't have to butter and flour the madeleine pan- like I said, the sponge cakes slide easily out of the cavities
I dipped some in melted dark chocolate just for variety



Comments

Popular Posts