The real waffle sandwich takes a bow

This is not a sandwich made of sliced bread pressed in the waffle maker to make it look like a waffle.

I guess I want the real deal this time. But I don't want to drive all the way to Brea or Orange just for a gourmet waffle sandwich. Surely I can make a replica and just enjoy it while playing reading.

The first task is to make really light and crispy waffles which will serve as my bread. But making a yeasty batter like Bruxie's is out of the question. I'm craving but lazy. Besides, there's a way to achieve that with just baking powder and separating the eggs.

You need:

2 extra large eggs, separated
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% fat milk
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tbsp baking powder

Procedure:

Separate eggs
Whisk together egg yolks, milk and oil
Add flour and baking powder to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly until smooth blended. Set aside.
Whip egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff. Gently fold into the waffle batter.
Preheat waffle iron and pour about 1/2 cup batter. Cook until light brown and serve with your favorite topping or filling.
I used baby spinach, fresh mozza, tomatoes and Italian sausage drizzled with balsamic dressing as my filling for my savory sandwich.
The waffles are thicker than Bruxie's but they're very light and crispy- I so swear!
And a PB & J sandwich for my sweet tooth!
At first I thought I'd find a way to make my waffles thinner next time but on second thought- it's not an issue- I actually like thick slices of bread for my sammies!

Comments

Popular Posts