Raspberry-Mint Granita


I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw sixteen-ounce raspberry containers on sale for a measly 99 cents per two. They’re not in that freshly picked state but they’re still good, still firm and for that cheap price, I have but positive vibes and frozen treat thoughts because they’re ripe exactly for that purpose.

So I bought some and was debating on making granita or sorbet or sherbet. I decided on the easiest which is granita. Actually I can churn it in my ice cream maker and make it into sorbet or add milk to make it into sherbet. Hmm that will be another post then.

I was surprised with the finished product because it has an almost-sorbet texture. I was anticipating slush and grain but not so and in a good way. I was thinking maybe it’s because I simmered the raspberry puree after running it into a very fine sieve before I added the simple syrup.
Whatever it is, I’m not complaining! I could have added milk and turned this into a sherbet if I haven’t added mint leaves for an herbaceous and fresh taste. Here’s another treat from my kitchen to keep you cool on a hot summer day!

Raspberry-Mint Granita

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 cups water
4 6-oz container fresh raspberries
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves

Directions:
1. Combine water and sugar in a sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool.
2. Using a blender, puree raspberries until smooth. Pour mixture into a fine sieve to separate the seeds. At this point I poured 2 cups of water slowly to rinse the seeds of all flavor. The raspberry water is then mixed with the puree
3. Transfer back to a sauce pan and simmer for five minutes stirring constantly.
4. Add half of the simple syrup, lemon juice and mint. You can add some more according to taste
5. Pour mixture into a glass dish and freeze. Scrape mixture with a fork every hour to loosen the ice crystals.
6. Serve in a dessert glass garnished with raspberries and mint leaves

Comments

Popular Posts