Japanese Fried Rice


People ask me how Japanese fried rice differs from other fried rice and my response to that is the rice used in preparing it. It uses short- grain rice which has a softer texture just like Arborio, sushi rice or Cal Rose which I love (read my previous rice post) . Other than that, there’s nothing else I can think of because it has the same ingredients like garlic, onion, eggs, vegetables and seasonings like soy sauce, salt and pepper.

I had the privilege of tasting my first Japanese fried rice right there in Japan where it is called “yakimeshi”. It was love at first bite … or first spoonful. It just tasted different- and deliciously so!

I think it is the way it is prepared that makes it like such as Emeril would say. Or it could be the chopped onion sautéed first in Kikkoman soy sauce before the rest of the ingredients are added that does it. Or the addition of bell peppers- I don’t know.

People who knew me have tasted my version and for those who cannot, I share this recipe:

Japanese Fried Rice

Ingredients:
4 cups steamed short grain rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I used assorted colors)
1/3 cup ground pork or beef
3 extra large eggs, beaten
1 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp garlic salt
1/3 cup green peas
2 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
2 rounds canola or vegetable oil

Preparation:
Heat oil in a wok or a large skillet on high heat. Add the eggs and scramble very quickly. Remove from wok and transfer to a plate and set aside.
In the same wok or skillet, add the ground meat and break the meat using the back of a spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until light golden brown.
Add the onion and season with soy sauce and ground pepper and cook until translucent. Add the vegetables and season with garlic salt and ground pepper and cook until they soften a little. Add steamed rice and scrambled eggs and stir fry well. Taste if added seasoning is needed and mix well.

Note:
I added shrimp but it is optional


Comments

Popular Posts