Free range chicken

I was reunited with free range chicken last week- this time the yellow less meat kind but packed with real chicken flavor. I used to get the white, meatier variety and it's really good if you want more meat. But this one really made my mouth sing. I baked one which I massaged with a little safflower oil and seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt. OMG! I had half of it for lunch with salad and the other half for dinner. I have to make it again because I did not take any picture of it- neither the simple salad I made which is chopped romaine hearts, jicama, cucumber and home made balsamic dressing. How healthy can you get? And thanks K for facilitating this "reunion" ha ha. I mentioned to her how I used to go to Chinatown just to get free range chicken and she told me I don't really have to go there. She will get it for me and she did!


I may have forgotten to take pictures of the baked chicken and salad but I have one chicken left so I made sure to take pictures. This type of chicken need not be cooked in rich sauces to be appreciated. It could stand out even in the simplest way it is cooked. Such as steaming it unseasoned. It is my first time to steam a chicken and I was not disappointed.

The recipe calls for a dipping sauce made of canola oil, kosher salt, minced ginger and chopped scallions but the chicken already taste great with just a drizzle of sesame oil and Kikkoman soy sauce.


Served with my favorite bokchoy with garlic and oyster sauce- it is the best thing I ever ate for the week!



Here's my version of the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 whole free range chicken cut into pieces
1 tbsp minced ginger
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup chopped scallions
Salt to taste
4 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil

Instructions:
1. Steam the chicken over simmering water for 45-55 minutes. I turned the pieces over after twenty five to make sure they are cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the ginger, canola oil, scallions, and salt in a bowl- set aside.
3. When the chicken is done, drizzle it with the soy sauce and sesame oil and serve with the scallion-ginger sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts