Mango-Oat Cake Bars


My weekend kitchen activity will not be complete without baking something for my sweet tooth. And since I have some mangoes left from the box I received last week, I decided to use it and made mango-oat cake bars. Maybe it's just me but I don't want it overly sweet, so I used cream cheese and lemon juice to give it a hint of tartness.

Mango-Oat Cake Bars

Ingredients:

For the crust:
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
4 cups mangoes, chopped
1/3 cup water
2 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
2 tsp mango extract (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pkg cream cheese, softened

For the topping:
2 cups quick oats
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut in small pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Crust:
Mix Graham cracker crumbs and melted unsalted butter well. Press into a buttered 13x9 pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.

Filling:
In a saucepan, combine mangoes with water, lemon juice, mango extract, vanilla and sugar.
Cook for 10 minutes or until tender over medium heat.
Add softened cream cheese and stir well.
Combine cornstarch water and then stir into mango mixture.
Cook until thickened. Cool slightly and pour over prepared crust.

Topping:
Combine oats, flour and sugar. Using a fork or a or a dough or pastry cutter, cut in butter until it becomes crumbly. Sprinkle over mango layer.
Bake for 35-45 minutes.
Allow to cool before cutting into bars.

Note:
I left mine in the freezer until firm to make it easier to slice.
It's even more delicious frozen like eating ice-cream bar- perfect for this blasting summer heat

Comments

Popular Posts