Broccoli Beef


The best broccoli beef I ever tasted is the one my mom used to prepare. I’ve tried it in different restaurants but nothing comes close to hers when it comes to taste. The secret is in seasoning and marinating the beef first before browning. The broccoli should stay a vibrant green and kept to a nice crisp. It is an aberration for her when vegetables are overdone and has lost their natural color. That at least rubbed off on me in a good way and I thank her for that and for this recipe which I am sharing with you now. I don’t remember her needing to shock the broccoli to stop it from cooking but always, her beef broccoli comes out perfect for me. I can only try to make mine as good because I know it will never be better than hers.

Broccoli Beef

Ingredients:

3/4 lb flank or sirloin, sliced across the grain
1 lb broccoli florets
2 tbsp canola oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water

For the beef marinade
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground pepper

For the sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup beef broth

Method:
Whisk together marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the beef slices and let stand for then minutes
Prepare the sauce: Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
Blanch the broccoli: Cook the broccoli in a small pot of boiling, salted water for about 3 minutes. Scoop with a spider spoon and transfer to a bowl of iced water to stop the broccoli from cooking
Heat oil on high in a non stick pan. Add the beef and allow to brown on all sides. Add the garlic and onion and let cook until fragrant and wilted.
Add soy sauce, ground pepper and oyster sauce and cook for a minute.
Add the beef broth and simmer until beef is tender.
Add the blanched broccoli and bring to a boil.
Stir in cornstarch and cook, stirring until the sauce boils and thickens.
Serve with or as topping for steamed white rice.

Comments

Popular Posts