BLT Prime Popovers : The preparation and the verdict

I have all the ingredients but popover pans so I had to make do with what I have- my ugly muffin pans. The preparation is easy, just warm the milk, beat the eggs till frothy, grate the cheese, pre-heat the pans and grease generously and the rest of the how-to is here but I had to modify it as I halved the recipe.

Popovers
Makes 18

Ingredients:
2 cups milk, warmed
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2-1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese
unsalted butter for the pans

Preparation:

Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350 degrees. Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside. Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.
Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and grease LIBERALLY — the top as well as inside the cups. While the batter is still slightly warm or room temp (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup 3/4 full. Top each popover with approximately 2 tbsp of the grated Gruyere.
Bake at 375 degrees for 55 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan and serve immediately.

And the verdict:

I think I have achieved the right texture and the perfect crust but my tops are not perfectly rounded. I realized I should have taken out the baking sheet which I always leave inside the oven because it made the muffin pan kind of tilted so my tops are like ice cream on a cone with half-bitten scoop. Other than that, they were delicious and I was right to decrease the salt aspect to a teaspoon only. I thought with the amount of cheese that I will use, it should be salty enough.

Breaking a popover and seeing the hollow inside reminded me of the first zeppole I made. They serve these popovers at BLT Steak House in NY as an appetizer. The way I made mine didn't even need butter when served because of the amount of butter I rubbed in the pans before baking. They're so good and I'm not telling how many I ate- I have to skip lunch today ... go figure.

Edit:
I felt so silly after I Googled Popover images a while ago and found that my popovers came out the way they should be.  I should be happy because they're perfect- texture; shape and to top it off- taste!

Comments

Popular Posts