Apple-Pineapple Crisp


My mind was brimming with cake ideas after watching Cake Walk (The Best Thing I Ever Ate) this morning. I planned on making a pound cake but I had to run some errands and it was late in the afternoon when I got home. I was craving for something sweet though but it has to be quick and easy. Nothing can be quicker and easier than any-fruit-crisp because it is basically fruits or berries and crumb topping. I have but two Fuji apples so I added a can of crushed pineapple as my extender. I think it will be a good combination. I do use them together when making parfait or fruit salad. Besides, they have the same last syllable so they kinda rhyme ... does that even count?

I was excited knowing I'll soon be enjoying my warm fruit crisp with a scoop of ice cream. But I realized later on that I'm out of regular quick oats. What I have is boxes of Maple and Brown Sugar flavored ones. No problem, all I need to do is adjust the sugar since I'm using sweetened oats. Did you notice I now have three ingredients with the same last syllable (apple-pineapple-maple)ha ha. This trio did a wonderful crisp rendition. The fruits are chewy but not hard and the top is crunchy from the oats and nuts. I only have cheese flavored ice cream in the freezer but that didn't matter. They paired nicely and I couldn’t ask for a better dessert.

Ingredients

2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Fuji apples, sliced thinly
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
1/3 cup roasted macadamia nuts, chopped

Directions

In a bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the apples and pineapple, toss to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish.
In another bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Comments

Popular Posts