The best thing I ever ate ... this week


Nope, the picture is right! Those are sweet potatoes but they are not ordinary sweet potatoes that you can buy anywhere. Those are Japanese sweet potatoes which I found at the Farmer’s Market last Wednesday. They look so plump and beautiful and right there, my mind was swimming with thoughts of golden sweet potatoes with toffee-caramel sauce. So after my errands, I was home and went straight to the kitchen. Peeling them is a breeze with the aid of my vegetable peeler.


Even dicing seemed effortless and soon I was deep frying them in vegetable oil and I smell sweetness. I had to try one to find out if it’s any different from my favorite purple sweet potatoes. I must say I was surprised with the sweetness that I just can’t stop munching on them. They were delicious even in simple deep fried form without anything added. I did try it with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar and it is just as yummy.


Now it’s time for the final act which is making the toffee-caramel sauce. I used unsalted butter, light brown sugar and heavy cream.


Ah just look at this … need I say more?


And so when someone randomly asked me what’s the best thing I ever ate lately- without a doubt it is Japanese Sweet Potatoes- simply fried and crunchy on the outside with a creamy texture inside or sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and going a little bit fancy - with toffee-caramel sauce. Hmm I should take a trip to the Farmer’s Market next week and get some more.

Here's my recipe for my

Toffee Caramel Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar

Method:

Over medium heat, allow butter to melt in a sauce pan. Add the brown sugar and mix thoroughly. Add the heavy cream and simmer while stirring continuously. Turn off the heat when it becomes bubbly and sugar is all melted.

Comments

Popular Posts