Un-nutty Apple-Blueberry Muffins


I thought of making sweet apple pancakes last night. I felt like I was sapped of all my energy after hours of cleaning my computer station (yes, cleaning is such a long and tedious process for me) so I need some sugar to fuel up my tired body he he he. But I saw a bag of frozen blueberries in the fridge so I opted to make muffins instead and just add apple into the mix. I remember seeing a picture on a food site of nutty apple blueberry muffin-lots of blueberries and little pieces of apple with walnut topping. I don’t even need a recipe for this after making so many blueberry muffins in the past. Basically, it is preparing the dry and wet ingredients separately then mixing them together, fold in berries and top with crumbs or nuts. But nobody’s perfect in this world! I forgot my nut topping and I don’t know what happened because when I tasted one- I knew I won’t get the fuel I need from the muffins because it tasted like it was devoid of sugar. Thank God for whoever thought of glaze so I was able to salvage the muffins by drizzling them generously with glaze. They’re un-nutty, but just perfect for my need. Here’s how to make them

Nutty Apple-Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup salad oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup blueberries, well drained
3/4 cup chopped apple

Nut Mix
Mix together the following:
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
¼ tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter

Directions:
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Beat egg, buttermilk, oil & apple together.
In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
Mix dry and wet ingredients – don’t panic if the batter looks lumpy
Fold in the blueberries
Grease or spray muffin tins with baking spray and scoop batter ¾ full
Sprinkle with nut topping and bake for 25-30 minute or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
Cool in wire racks completely
Drizzle with glaze

Glaze

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan or microwave.
Sift 1 cup of powdered sugar into a medium size bowl.
Add the melted butter to the powdered sugar.
Add 2 tablespoons of milk.
Beat until smooth and creamy, adding a little more milk if necessary.
Drizzle over a cooled muffins

Comments

Popular Posts