Corn Bread & Corn Cake

How are they different from each other? Well, the bread is normally paired with a savory dish while the cake is obviously a dessert. When I make corn bread, I mix corn meal and all-purpose flour and for real corn flavor, I use both corn kernels and cream style corn which also makes my corn bread really moist- hence it can also pass as a dessert or a snack. It has a darker color because of the yellow corn meal while the cake is lighter in color because I use white corn flour with only a couple of tablespoons cornmeal.


Moist Corn Bread

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 can sweet corn kernel,drained
1 can cream style corn

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In a bowl, stir in sugar into melted butter. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
3.Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture into butter and sugar mix.
4.Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended.
5.Fold in corn kernels and cream style corn.
6.Pour batter into well-buttered 9 inch baking pan or dish.
7.Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Corn cake is way different in color and taste because I use very little corn meal so it is a not as grainy as the bread. I use both shortening and butter, heavy cream, lots of corn kernels and I bake it in a pan covered with aluminum foil on a bain marie. That really makes a lot of difference since corn cake has a pudding-like character and texture which is best achieved by using a water bath.

This is the same corn cake that they serve at El Torito’s. My friend and I would fight over it because they only include a scoop in the entrée plates. Sometimes we would just order extra servings to be satiated. It is always a normal reaction- wanting something that is scarce more than what is always available. Now we don’t have to fight over it as I can just make it when I’m craving and make some for him as well when I'm feeling sweet and friendly like these past two days- I made both corn bread and the cake for him. Well, the other night I was going to make the cake, I realized I didn’t have corn flour so I ended up making the bread but with the commitment to make the cake the next day and I did. Ah, but it is so nice to make something for friends and there's a certain kind of high when they tell you how much they liked or enjoyed what you made for them. That is the essence of being a foodie.

Sweet Corn Cake

Ingredients:
¼ cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp Crisco shortening
½ cup masa harina
3 tbsp cold water
2 cups sweet corn kernels (frozen or canned)
3 tbsp cornmeal
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp whipping cream
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

Directions:
Whip butter and shortening in mixing bowl until fluffy and creamy.
Add masa harina gradually and mix thoroughly altenating with water.
Stir in corn kernels into masa mixture.
Mix cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
Add butter-masa mixture; mix until blended. Pour masa mixture into 8" greased baking pan. Cover with foil and bake in a bain marie at 350 degrees until corn cake is firm, 40 to 50 minutes.

Comments

  1. I’ve read a few posts here and I can actually relate. I am in love with Marie Callender's cornbread.
    They are simple to make and super yummy, especially with honey butter. I've been a fan of MC's ever since
    I was a little girl, and have fond memories of eating it with my family back in San Jose, CA. Check out their
    website www.mccornbread.com to order your cornbread mix. They also stock a variety of gourmet products I'm sure you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will- but have you tried making it from scratch? I know ready mix saves time but this recipe is a keeper and worth a try. The extra corn whether cream style or whole kernel makes the corn bread even better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts